Monday, February 25, 2008

A good day with Little T

This is my most recent picture of Little T, notice the hot chocolate all over the mouth!

Today was a beautiful day. The temperature got up to 65 degrees, the sun was shining and it felt great. I cannot wait for spring to get here!! The kiddos got out of school early today and it was nice to have chores, homework, and laundry done a little earlier than usual. We had 5 new dressers delivered this afternoon, so that took up most of our extra time. We did however enjoy a little outside time and fresh oranges my parents brought back from Florida. It was nice to see B outside on the porch swing eating an orange. It made me LONG for spring and warm weather, however I noticed a cold front will be coming in by Wednesday, BOO.

That should help us along with those of us that have a cold, cough, and sore throat. This morning, J, awakened me with "little T has pink eye, so she's staying home". UGH. Monday mornings are my morning to exercise and run errands. Believe it or not, I am bummed I can't find more time to exercise these days and was looking forward to a nice work out today. Oh well, we headed to the pediatrician's office to do the drill. After an hour wait, we were seen. T had no other symptoms other than an obvious very red eye. As he looked in her ear, he said, "Yuck". Now for those of you that don't know my pediatrician, he was military trained and is very straight forward, but he rarely says, "yuck". As he began his work on her ear with all of his tools and head lamp on, I thought, what has she done now. When T came to me at an early age 5, she came with a cashew and snail shell in tow, one in each ear. We had to have them surgically removed within two weeks of her first month with us. That child!!! I love, love, love her big brown eyes and her sweet face. Her olive skin is just beautiful. BUT, she has kept us busy. All of this flashed through my mind as he pulled out KLEENEX from her ear and I am sorry to tell you this, but it was green and wet. I about lost my Chocolately Delight Special K from breakfast. I didn't even know what to say.

After a quick drop off to the pharmacy,$200 spent at Sam's ( I did get to exercise because I pushed T on a large flat cart for 45 minutes and loaded it down), we arrived back to the pharmacy for a pick up. "W", says the pharmacist, "her insurance won't pay for this type of ear drop", okay just charge me. "Well, it cost $106". "WHAT", this is the most expensive piece of Kleenex in the world! I had to pay for it for fear of the type of germ that grows in "wetness" as Dr. R put it. I was too scared to not buy the drops right then and there.

BUT, it was still a great day, because that meant she did not have true pink eye, but rather the infection was seeping into her eye. Now I know that still sounds awful, but for a family of 13, that is great news. I have already envisioned a quick disinfecting session when I got home because I just knew we would all get pink eye. The beautiful day that followed helped my attitude and understand God's beauty and mercy for me. She has no one else to care for her, I am her mother. Even though I get frustrated with cashews, snail shells, and Kleenex in her ears, where would she be if not here, who would buy her ear drops, if not us?

Thank you God for a good day and for giving me Little T.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, you made me cry. And so early this morning. The Lord has given you such a sweet gift! :-) And the grace to do it.

Lauren said...

Wendy, I am just catching up on your blog tonight and I loved this post! Little T is a handfull, I know it. But it is so true that you were meant to be her mom! Keep up the good work with her.